The research focus is on atmospheric process studies to understand the interaction between atmospheric composition and climate. Using models and observations (satellites, radiosondes, etc.), we study the effects of changes in atmospheric composition (and in particular changes in ozone) on climate and how, in turn, climate affects atmospheric composition. The processes or systems we study are:
- Rapid changes in stratospheric dynamics and ozone.
- How well can we capture these processes in models?
- What are the implications of model resolution on the results?
- Can we predict the events described, what is their impact on the troposphere?
- Climatic effects of the ozone hole.
- Dynamical effects of the Asian monsoon.
- Regional climate changes (Helmholtz Climate Initiative REKLIM).